1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I've noticed in this Rogue Element Gaming Battle Report for 6th Edition featuring Beastmen that the Beast player's skirmishing Ungors are on 20mm squares, but have been placed in individual adaptors that increase their base size to 25mm squares to match the Gors in the same unit meaning it's certainly possible to adapt individual models' base size without rebasing them (the Beastmen army can be seen from 6:14 to 9:50):

They're 3D-printed, apparently, so there must be sellers out there that have designed them.

Indeed I did - when GW released their new Ork Boyz kit in 40K:
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/ork-boyz-combat-patrol-2022
    They kept the old one running alongside it:
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ork-Boyz-2018

Good thing too, as GW kits become more and more monopose, some more poseable models are very welcome, particularly in an Ork army where variety is more realistic than uniformity.

To be honest I can't see them making Kroxigors that are going to be on bases bigger than the 40mm rounds they are currently on, which means they should fit fine on 40mm squares, and I can also see their new Salamander fitting on a 40mm square. The Slann could fit on a 50mm square if some of the foliage is removed and used on other models.

And in the case of models that will be much more difficult to fit on Fantasy bases, like Saurus Warriors and perhaps any new Saurus Cavalry, I would like to think that GW would consider rereleasing the older models specifically in TOW boxes with the proper square bases, while the new AoS ones continue to be supplied with round bases.

There will still be a market for the older models in the form of those who want to expand existing units/armies that have them, as the new models won't fit alongside them at all. Not to mention those who want Saurus models that are better for ranking up on squares, and those who want the classic Lizardmen look rather than the new AoS 'star-lizard' theme. It wouldn't be a complete waste for GW to just rebox the existing models and give them glorious shiny new square bases.

Yup, GW are anything but predictable in non-Space Marine arenas (both a good and bad thing). We'll just have to see what they decide.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    BigDinosaur and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

What doesn't make sense to me here is the poses... have you seen the new seraphon warrior poses?
    If they wanted them to be able to be used in a rank and file game, the design would have been completely different. I don't even think they would rank up seamlessly even with larger bases... just look at the tails and the width of the poses... just no way they would not collide in ranks.

Other examples such as the new goblin "cavalry" I can see working in ranks.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the current Saurus models, never have been, but I do agree with you that the new Saurus were made with the skirmish style of AoS in mind; not the rank-and-file of TOW. That doesn't mean that GW won't try to push them into ToW anyways. The old Daemons of Chaos Soul Grinder is a perfect example; that thing was clearly made for 40k but it was shoehorned into Fantasy anyways. Yes it was a lone model, so didn't face ranking issues, but aesthetically that thing had no business in Fantasy.

As to whether or not the Saurus will be able to be physically ranked up, it's tough to say without having seen the models in person. People can get pretty creative when ranking up models. I believe the new Chaos Warriors models have been successfully ranked, onto 25mm bases no less. Do they look ideal... definitely not, but I can say the same for some dedicated WHFB models as well. If we assume that the next logical bump for a 25mm base would be up to 30mm, that does give you a lot of real estate. It will come down to those tails though.

We're left with 3 possible outcomes:
    • GW sell the new Saurus sculpts for AoS but continue to carry the old ones for TOW
    • GW only support the new Saurus sculpts, for use in both AoS and TOW
    • GW (or Forge World) produce a new Saurus Warrior sculpt specifically for TOW that sells alongside the new AoS one
    I think the last option is fairly unlikely, as they'll probably be focusing on the new factions and I'm not sure how profitable it will be for GW to try to produce multiple sculpts for the same unit.

4. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I think Saurus and Chaos Warriors were already on 25mm sq bases, not 20mm. Likewise orcs, gors, bestigors, some daemons...

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They were, but remember that the new AoS Saurus have been designed purposefully to fit on the monstrosities that are 32mm round bases, so it will be significantly more difficult to fit them on 25mm squares with significantly less surface area, not to mention getting them to rank up properly.

BigDinosaur likes this.
  6. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

That's my point, there was no decision to make them rankable when conceptualizing the new saurus. They are not meant to be played for ToW, otherwise they would be designed differently. It would just look ugly and unappealing... you may make them fit in ranks somehow, but it's not their intended purpose.

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Just seen it on the news thread, and just reacted to it:

Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Finally something more than mere fluff :D:D:D

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Idk about this, 2023 seems sketchy at best. 10th is still a few months away, i would not be surprised if GW has 10th as the big release for 2023, and TOW for 2024. I can see an argument that they might want it for the Christmas push though.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'd be a little bit surprised too, but you never know with GW. Either way, the TOW slow drip rollout has been pretty underwhelming.

Possibly... but is 2024 not a new AoS edition year?

13. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

GW announce new 40k editions only 3 months prior to launch, why not TOW?

So what are the sources for these rumours?

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's true. Anything is possible when dealing with GW... well not price decreases... those are not possible. Aside from that, we never really know what GW will do.

I don't know.

15. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

Also a new blood bowl edition maybe (2016, 2020, ...)

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

could be, but it would be the lesser announcement.

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Yes it is, hence my original prediction of 2025. I'm also dubious about the video predicting TOW appearing in the Autumn - GW have never released a new edition of something in Autumn as far as I recall. July has always been New Edition Month. The only thing making me think otherwise is the plan to release those new Cities of Skubmar models in the Autumn, which could coincide with the movement of all the Fantasy models currently in that range over to the eventual TOW section of the website. But then, this is GW, they're not known for seizing opportunities when they arise.

I really hope not... TOW is much more important.

Tk'ya'pyk and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. Cristian Lozano
    Skink

Cristian Lozano Member

Lizardmen have not yet been confirmed (or simply suggested) to be in TOW?

19. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

Nope, not even hinted. Although i do hope the southlands will be in it maybe.

Cristian Lozano likes this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Good point. That would be even more reason not to release it in 2024.

They really should have released alongside the hype of the Total War Warhammer series. Releasing in 2025, when the game is no longer relevant and that hype is gone, makes no sense. Then again, this is GW, it doesn't have to make sense.