1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Do you have a minute to talk about Dual Shooting Solar Engine Bastiladon, our Lord and Saviour?

2. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

And only half of them will be able to hit at a time thanks to new coherency. Maybe like 8 out of 10, if you use Cat Paw fomration, but it looks stupid, tbh.

But in reality GW is simply incompetent and don't understand how their own game works.

Carnikang and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. Jack Edwards-Fox
    Skink

Jack Edwards-Fox Active Member

Is this a genuine, commonly-held belief? It's their game? They design it and make the rules, so by definition of course they understand how it works. 3.0 hasn't been launched without testing, development and a goal in mind. Sure, updates are sometimes needed, and tweaks are inevitable, but name a single game that's never had to revise its rules.

4. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Than it is indeed an evil conspiracy, since there is no explanation of how they tell that stuff is going to be awesome and balanced, but it is neither in the end.

5. Jack Edwards-Fox
    Skink

I wouldn't expect GW or any other business to tell me how they develop and playtest games. That's... not how business works.

If you don't like what GW do, you don't have to buy their products or play their games. One would hope no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to partake in a hobby. Or you could just carry on playing 2.0 with other players who want to. I still play D&D 3.5e sometimes because it was a fun system.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

oh this is always my assumption. i just like to give GW agency in there terrible terrible choices

Nart likes this.
  7. Jack Edwards-Fox
    Skink

What are their terrible choices?

8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

in a perfect world shure but GW continues to make useless or completely broken things in there games so yes i do believe they pay very little attention to what they do
    checkers/chess/risk/doom/ratchet and clank/the first 12 fire emblems/ breath of fire 1-4/paper mario 1 and 2/ savage worlds. and so on and so on and so on it's not hard to find them i could literally go on for hours.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Nart and Canas like this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

oh wow do you have time? i have a list that goes as far back as 4th edition. or should i keep it to second and 9th?

Tyranitar and Nart like this.
  10. Jack Edwards-Fox
    Skink

Maybe you should just find another hobby that makes you happy

Whatever floats your boat, pal. Life's too short to spend it complaining about a hobby.

Womboski likes this.
  11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

this hobby does make me happy. a person can love a flawed thing while wanting it to be better. this statement is unhelpful and merely passes blame to the fans over the ones causing the problems.

you asked a serious question and i asked for clarification. do you actually want a answer? or do you just want to complain about people complaining?

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Sure, but what about the other eh, 20-odd units we got? Don't get me wrong, it'd be fun if the stegadon meme list becomes viable. But I'd like the rest of our roster to be usefull :p

I don't think I've ever seen another company who releases a new edition of their game but only updates half of its factions/champions/units/whatevers to actually work within that new edition. Sure, individual overhauls can be staggered. But if a new edition simply breaks a faction/champion/unit/whatever then generally the overhaul is released as part of the new edition.

GW is the only one who releases new editions that break entire units or even factions and then wait years to update the broken things.

13. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

any one have leaks on secondaries? im really looking forward to those and so far we have only seen the one

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The same can be said for 40k right?
    This didn't stopped GW to release the wolves codex... and a FAQ rhe day after.
    Do they even care to reread what they are printing?
    I don’t understand people that defend GW despite the obvious flaws. i like the game but i don't like GW's policy.
    It's like to be a fan of, let's say... a football team. You love the team and the game, but you don’t necessarily like changes to the rules of the game, and you often criticize the ownership of the team, or the players of your team.

15. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

plus griping is a staple of ALL hobbies. sports immediately comes to mind as Killer said above but it extends to video games movies comics tv shows books and many more. it's how people come to terms with changes they don't necessarily like they gripe. some times the creators listen some times we just have to live with it

Canas likes this.
  16. Skained
    Chameleon Skink

Skained Well-Known Member

Tyranitar and Erta Wanderer like this.
  17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Skained likes this.
  18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I just thought you were talking about competitive side of the book, and I think that we are more or less will stay at higher tiers, since a lot of our stuff benifits from changes.

As for units, well, sadly, we will have way more outsiders than before, but it is rare occasion when an army have several viable builds. We were great for last 1.5 years and a lot of different lists with different units got into top 3. I think that the only unit I haven't seen in any single list is Eternity warden. Literally every single unit in the book was useful.

Sadly, saurus got a hard hit, flyers and kroxies are worse, but skinks are still top, monsters and heroes got universal buffs and we will have more CP than ever before and we really need them.

At least knights are still useful. You can easily stick 8 out of 10 into the fight without fear of losing coherency. Oldblood on foot kind of lost its role and eternity warden somehow even worse. Idea of taking guards in large numbers is dead, but other than that, we are more or less the winners here.

19. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

It also says that units can only benefit from one command ability at a time, so unless it's a built-in warscroll buff they're going to severely limit buff stacking.

Not that you won't be able to buff stack, as you still have spells and non-CA buffs. But once again, a shift towards elite units with good base warscrolls looks like what GW wants to do. Looks like a lot of factions are going to be suffering from heavily outdated rules until their book comes out 2-3 years down the road. Armies that rely on synergies and hordes are going to get the same treatment Tau have in 40k 9e, unless GW focuses on updating the battletomes as quickly as possible instead of pumping out 2 new armies a year...

20. ninjakeso
    Saurus

ninjakeso Member

I believe that the "unleash hell" CA rule will be fantastically oppressive and increases the effectiveness of several seraphon units.
    Run a bastiladon behind saurus and watch it blast anything that tries to charge the saurus. Or beside them to get the monster ability when charged.
    Same with the stegadon bow and now the flamethrower might actually find its way into some lists because of unleash hell. Also, salamanders will be even more oppressing since you can use them to protect anything from charges. 9" is a lot!

I'm not sure what to think about the new edition so far, but I think it's bad that they've nerfed horde units and dislike the Reinforcement rules. They'll need a huge faq to balance that one out. I like that endless spells will be more present and more devastating and even if the bound endless spells are less unique, they'll most likely be controllable when wild, so the you don't need to worry about them. And as pointed out earlier, seraphon have good spells for handling enemy endless spells.

I think that the general battalions are very bland but they probably do a lot for balance and the same with the general CA and monster/hero abilities. I guess by giving everyone the same toolbox it will go quite far to infer som balance. But I still think unleash hell is too stronk. And also, the hero abilities might be extremely strong for some heroes, especially the d3 heal.

But I'm just wondering, does anybody have any insight on how the "rule of one" will work?
    For hero abilities, you can only use 1 per hero phase, so no issue there. For monster abilities you need to pick 1 unique for each monster, no problems.
    What about CA? Can you use the same CA several times per phase? If not, I can still see some usability of the saurus CA which gives +1 to hit, because then you can effectively give 2 units +1 in a phase (all out attack and saurus oldblood ca).

Erta Wanderer likes this.