1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Painting of Renown! (Just kidding... but this is my blog)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lizards of Renown, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I might try my hand at one of the Fireborn. I love the models and will really enjoy trying to get the flaming body right.

Trying to get everything built as one evolution and then start the painting.

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice project!

The little dude on the wolf is hilarious :D

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

@Sudsinabucket I'm really daunted by the prospect of painting up my Chaos Dwarf army. I didn't get contrast paints before because somehow it felt like I was gonna be cheating a bit, rather than doing proper highlights and washes. What do you think about them?

Also when I read the descriptions, it tells me I have to do it over grey or white, which won't work for my Chaos Dwarfs as they will definitely be a black undercoat deal... Or am I reading this wrong?

Bowser, Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Chaos Dwarves sound like a lot of fun to paint, especially with some of the amazing sculpts out there for them. I actually have a bunch of files from Lost Kingdom Chaos Dwarfs I want to print once I get a printer. And admittedly my Hathorians in AoS have a connection to Hashut ;) So, I wish you great luck and success in this project

As for Contrast paints, honestly, they're worth it. To be fair, I don't really use them for their intended purpose (I have a few times, but not often) but more for washes and such. however, when I have used them for their intended purpose they did pretty well, but you have to do more than just one or two coats, which many I've seen on other pages and forums seem to assume you need. they def will not replace your normal paints, IMO. yes you can do a full mini with them and it can look amazing, but IMO there is still no substitute for regular paints for highlights and other things. Contrast is great for going over dry brushing.

As for chaos dwarfs... yeah, I think contrast can be used but it will be more in the vein of a wash; though I could see you painting beards and such white and then doing a brown or something color for them. but with their armor and such being mainly black, contrast won't have its intended effect. With that said, contrast over black is kinda great for things like Obsidian or just really really dark-shaded of something. if you build up enough contrast layers, it will show on the black a bit, but more of a hue than a defined color... if that makes sense?

So in short, yes, I think Contrast is worth it, and I think could work for Chaos dwarfs, just wouldnt replace the normal paints imo.

That's my opinion at least as a still learning painter:)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yes of course it is cheating :p no but seriously it speeds up the process quite a bit. I have seen a model with painted skin done by 25 thin layers of contrast paint and it was amazingly real looking.

I think the effect is the greatest and best visable on White and grey, but should work also on black.

Grrr, Imrahil

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I personally don’t bother with highlights myself, just a basecoat for each aspect of the model and a wash works wonders enough to achieve the quality results you can see in my painting blog, while still requiring a lot of time and patience on my part (correcting paint errors on different areas of the model is the thing that takes the longest). Certainly until you get used to painting your models I think that’s all you need to worry about, save highlighting for when you’ve gained confidence in your abilities and you think you can muster the levels of patience required to add it to your existing painting process. Focus on getting your Dawi-Zharr to a good-quality, battle-ready standard first and foremost.

It’s up to you whether to use Contrast paints or the ordinary method, you can still achieve dark shading despite the light undercoats, particularly with Chaos Dwarfs, because the darker Contrast paints will do it for you as the wash aspect of it sinks into the recesses. My only concern with going full-on Contrast would be that they might not be so effective at correcting errors as standard paints are, but then I’ve never gone full-Contrast so I may not be the best man to advise you on that.

Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks Suds. I'll take a look into them then.

download.jpg

No-one in their right mind would describe you as a still-learning painter. At least semi-pro if not pro.

8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

So finished gluing the last of my Fireborn (they are really finickity...).

So now have to confront painting one. Or not. Not sure if I want to keep gluing other models or jump off the deep end into painting. We'll see which way I get inspired in my next unknown short period of personal time that I get.

20220206_005908.jpg

20220206_005844.jpg

Bowser, Warden and Imrahil like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hope it helps! Let us know which you bought too

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  10. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Well, I have normal paints so I'm going to just soldier on with these.

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay! Basecoating done of my Fireborn unit.

Game on!

20220209_005521.jpg 20220209_005515.jpg 20220209_005505.jpg

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Recasts unfortunately. From Russia.

There are only a few models that I'm willing to fork out for genuine Forge World. Like the Iron Daemon. Which hurt.

The prices for the Fireborn on things like Ebay would have meant that I wouldn't have gotten them. So, here I am. Still great models but not Forgeworld unfortunately.

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Hey @Sudsinabucket any advice for painting fire? I've watched a couple of videos now, but feel a bit scared on starting on these guys...

I think I may have already screwed it up as I've basecoated black... All the videos are saying to start with white...

Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Don't fret! I actually start off with Chaos Black for my fire stuff personally, though I'm sure White would make it brighter, it's not a "must" imo. I think black looks nice honestly as an undercoat.

This is what I use, which can be seen on my Lumineth Warden below (I apologize for sharinf a picture on your blog! Just needed an example).

Colors: Chaos Black, Dry Brush: Fire Bright Orange, Yriel Yellow, Phalanx Yellow & White Scar. No wash

Screenshot_20220210-091608_Instagram.jpg

I started orange and worked my way down to the tip to a white, leaving a black base at the very beginning. Highlighted with white and I think it looks very molten/sunmetal like! I *did not* use a wash on this personally. Hope this helps, lemme know if you jave more questions :)

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks mate.

I finally found a video last night of how to paint fire which I think I can follow... so I'll be painting all flame elements of my models white first, then doing a blend of some contrast paints.

Fingers crossed! :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay so doing a test model. Did thin coat one of Wraithbone undercoat for areas where I'm going to paint flame.

Still debating whether I'm going to color the hanging metal pieces with flames, or make them black.

Surely a skirt-like hanging piece of metal would just be hanging into the fire? Unlike the helmet, chest plate and arm...

20220211_013948.jpg 20220211_013951.jpg 20220211_013955.jpg 20220211_013946.jpg

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Bah.... Did second coat of Wraithbone on the fire areas ready for the contrast paints and tried to pick out in black the hanging metal pieces from it's belt.

I've decided not to worry overmuch about the fire colors spilling onto the metal pieces as surely the fire would be licking over onto them, or at least heating them considerably.

Still a bit intimidated but here goes nothing!

20220216_012601.jpg 20220216_012618.jpg 20220216_012553.jpg 20220216_012609.jpg

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good stuff... keep going. Can't wait to see these guys finished!